The food processing and distribution business can benefit in several ways by implementing a Cloud-based ERP solution. In this blog, we’re describing how deploying such an ERP solution has helped Strube Celery and Vegetable Company, a historic wholesale produce business, achieve operational independence through enhanced process efficiency.
Founded in 1913, Strube Celery and Vegetable Company was working with an Oracle-based old legacy system—written specifically for it in the early 1990s—but was facing challenges related to lot traceability, tracking repacking processes and financial visibility. The primary concerns plaguing it included:
- Complete dependence on a single staff member
- An outdated legacy program with limited functionality
- Time-consuming lot traceability processes
- Inadequate visibility into business operations
- The manual management of repacking and freight forwarding process
- Inefficient finance and cost operations
These longstanding operational challenges had their origins in the absence of a Cloud-based, food industry-specific ERP solution capable of transforming the business by:
- Streamlining core processes
- Improving vital support functions
Opting to implement a customizable, food industry-specific ERP solution—in this case, ColumbusFood—helped the Chicago-headquartered food distribution company optimize lot traceability and repackaging processes, gain financial visibility, and ensure food safety.
Bringing a food distribution company's operations to a standstill for an ERP implementation is a tall ask—production volumes and timely deliveries stand to get affected adversely, resulting in interrupted business and reduced revenues. The litmus test for a technology service provider handling the ERP implementation is to do so without halting business operations.
The transition to ColumbusFood has helped Strube gain significant operational efficiency and independence—from food safety and finance, to repacking and administration. Process cycles have got shortened, overall process visibility has witnessed a significant improvement, and ColumbusFood is now core to the company’s business expansion plans.
The ERP implementation has delivered the following benefits to the company:
- Enhanced visibility into business functions, including providing real-time updates of essential operations like freight forwarding and repacking
- Improved staff performance because of the easy-to-use solution interface
- Streamlined repacking process with tighter management control
- Shortened lot traceability process—to a few minutes from a couple of days
- Readily available updated data to proactively manage compliance
- Better financial reporting
- Hassle-free upgrades without the need for coding or continuous IT support
- Improved customer communications
- Minimized paper and printing costs
- Scaled up business and expansion plans
- Numerous food manufacturers, processors and distributors have leveraged ColumbusFood to modernize their businesses over the years because the ERP solution does the following:
- It enables businesses to keep up with evolving customer demands and changing food safety norms
- It provides real-time visibility into operations leading to effective cost and quality management
- It helps businesses maintain the highest standards of quality and safety while ensuring timely delivery
- It assists organizations in overcoming distribution-, operations- and organizational change-related challenges
Whether you specialize in baking, brewing, confectionery, dairy, produce or meat and poultry, ColumbusFood is the scalable—yet flexible—solution that can simplify production reporting and improve inventory accuracy for you, and provide greater ROI.
There are several advantages of implementing a food-specific ERP solution. Learn more here. Contact us at Columbus today to discover more about ColumbusFood and how we can tailor it to fulfill your requirements.